Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Bad News Day

Yes, today I received bad news---about my Dad. He visited my MI. home for 3 weeks this summer and I noticed he wasn't the same man. He would forget things I had just told him although his long-term memory was pretty good. Being a nurse, I called my stepmother and told her what I had seen. She, too, had been noticing changes. He was angry and argumentative and forgetful more than usual. I told her then he needed to see a Doctor. She did take him to see a Neurologist. The diagnosis is exactly what I assumed---Alzheimer's Disease. Damn! This bites. He's on meds but I know this is an ugly progressive disease. My great grandmother had it ( not his grandmother, my mother's). So, it falls to me to tell the rest of my siblings. What a sucky day.

My Dad knows and understands his diagnosis but he's trying to keep his sense of humor for now. I could just cry my eyeballs dry over this. I love ya, Dad. I'll be there for you.













4 comments:

How I See It said...

Aw, geez, so sorry to hear this!! I've been an outsider to Alzeimers, although I have had distant relatives who lived and died with the disease. Please take my heartfelt sympathy and compassion and wrap it around you like a warm blanket.
Karen

Beth said...

Jody, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. I know you'll be there for your Dad, and I'm sure he knows it, too.

{{hugs}}
Beth

Fish Hawk Jody said...

Thanks, Karen and Beth. It is only a shock in actually hearing it as I suspected it long ago. Not what I wanted for my Dad. Now we deal with it.

Ken Riches said...

Sorry to hear about your Dad. My grandmother had Alzhiemers, and it was hard to watch as it progressed over the years. My thoughts are with you.