Monday, June 22, 2009

A New Critter

Yes, we're adding a new critter to our menagerie. After the deaths of 2 of my beloved pets we decided we needed a new dog. Tanner has been sort of lost without Cinny so we're getting a new puppy. I'm sure Tanner will roll the puppy around with his nose and bark at her for a bit but that's pretty normal.

Anyway, I located some puppies up here, went and looked at them and chose one. A female that's 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Springer Spaniel and 1/2 Standard Poodle! I'm sure breeders of these individual dogs would have a fit but the hell with them. Sometimes their arrogance ticks me off. The whining of watering down the breeds, calling these dogs designer dogs, slamming the folks that breed these dogs, calling them names and all that noise. We'll they can take their AKC garbage and stuff it since the AKC will hand out papers to puppy mills simply because the dog is a purebred. I know that from experience because when I rescued Cinny from a pet store, we discovered through research that she came from a puppy mill in Iowa. Well, the AKC had no problem issuing papers for her and I can tell you that Cinny had a host of problems, but, oh, she was a pure bred so, of course, she had AKC papers. Pfffft! Now that's something to complain about but I never hear them raising a huge stink in that regard and as far as I'm concerned the breeders have done little to get the AKC to eliminate that practice. Our puppy is no designer dog and we didn't pay a zillion bucks for her either.

I know the folks that have the puppies and the puppies are so cute and healthy and friendly. Our new baby will be about 50 lbs max and a bit taller than her mom. When I picked her out she was only 5 weeks old. We pick her up July 2nd and then it's right off to the Vet for exam and puppy shots. She'll get spayed when we return home to Illinois in the fall.

So here's a photo of her Mom...she was so friendly.



And here's photo of Champagne at 5 weeks.



She will be a great addition to our household and be well cared for and loved. We're very excited about receiving her!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Wow, what a cutie! I'm with you on the puppy mill thing--it's just horrid. Every cat I've ever had has been from the Humane Society or from a person who was moving or giving away kittens. "Mutts" are some of the best animals you can ever have!

Ken Riches said...

Awwwww, what a cutie :o)