Monday, May 18, 2009

Preparing For...

Sad news and our trip to the woods.

This coming Wednesday will be the last day we have with our 16 year old awesome cat, Samuel.



This photo is Sammy when he was healthy. He's now simply skin and bones. It's a metabolic problem brought on by a malfunctioning thyroid gland. He's been on meds for nearly a year but they have stopped working. He's pretty much refusing to eat anymore. So my hubby and I made the agonizing decision to euthanize him on Wednesday. It will be a horrible evening but we wish him safe journey to cat land to rejoin his friends Chiba and Terra and Champagne.

I found him on my patio in California when he was 3 months old and he's been with me through all kinds of life changes ever since. He traveled 2200 miles with me to Illinois to a new life with hubby. He's been a treasure. Friendly, does tricks and loving pet. I will miss him terribly. 16 years of love is what he received return.

Our next agonizing decision comes in August when we must do the same for our blind and dying 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Receiver Cinnamon.

Animals bring such joy into our lives and leave us with much sorrow for a time but wonderful memories.

Since all this is happening in the next couple days I will not be posting until next week when I'm in Michigan. I'm getting satellite broadband! Wooohooo! Take care all and I'll post after I get Wild Blue connected.

Now, I must finish packing some things and spend time with Sammy.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Jody, I'm so sorry that you have to do that. Samuel is a very handsome cat (reminds me of our Sheeba), but I think every pet owner knows that there will come a time when their pets' quality of life is not good and they are not comfortable. It's such a hard thing to do. I can tell that Sammy had a very good and long life with you, and I wish him a peaceful journey. Hugs, Beth

Fish Hawk Jody said...

Thank you so very much. Yes, it's what we must do for Sammy and for us. He will be cremated and his ashes spread in the yard and in the woods...the 2 places he enjoyed the most.

Ken Riches said...

Sorry Jody, I hope you have a wonderful two days with Samuel :o(