Saturday, January 16, 2010

Computers Still Conspire Against Me!

Sheesh, truly. I hoped that my computer issues were over. Alas, not the case. Some of it my fault, some of it the cat's fault and some it just a damn conspiracy by machines intent on testing my sanity! HA! So the story goes as follows:

As I was packing up the laptop to head north for Christmas for a week a cat tried to kill me. LOL Bacchus the fat decided to run in front of me and then STOP...suddenly. At the time I had the keyboard for my docking station in my hands, fell over the cat and WHAM, keyboard hits the floor. Chalk up 1 keyboard fatality. I can still use the mouse and I have a new wireless keyboard and mouse on order. I hate typing on laptop keyboards. First because I'm a crappy typist and second they're just too small for my tastes. However, I do like the portability hence the docking station and wireless keyboard and mouse.

The culprit:




So I come home, leave the laptop packed and head off to the office desktop. Within a couple weeks I start noticing weird video pixel effects around my mouse pointer. Cute colors: orange, blue, red. Crap! It comes and goes and eventually gets worse and starts screwing up my screen and finally WHAM--- it shuts down my computer. Windows is nice enough to tell me a video driver has stopped functioning on that blue screen and if it's not the device it could need a driver update. O.K., fine. I update. No help. Slam, shuts off the computer. I need a new video card. So I call DELL and spend 3 hours on the phone with, how shall I say this, IDIOTS! Finally, I get hardware tech support and tell them the same story and they decide to send me a tech with a new video card. Heh. Not bad for a 4 year old computer. However, I have to say as awful as I think DELL customer service/techs are they are much better than HP!

I also decided to upgrade the desktop instead of buying a new one. So it's going to get bumped up to 4G and Windows 7 Ultimate. I'll get a new desktop in maybe a year. Until that happens I'm back on the laptop. It'll be better as soon as the new keyboard arrives. It's a darn good thing I have spell check and infinite time or I'd really be in trouble. And so ends the story of computer insanity for the beginning of 2010. I'm remaining optimistic that I shall not have any more issues for the rest of the year. Otherwise some machine is going to get punched out! LOL

3 comments:

Ken Riches said...

You have more patience than I do for a four year old computer, I would have gotten a new one in a heartbeat :o)

Fish Hawk Jody said...

Heh, I'm just being a cheap dog. I'll get one in a year and then take the old one to the woods.

Lori said...

I think it's great that you have a computer you've managed to keep going for four years!